Am I a gear junkie? Yes… No… Maybe…
Fact is: I love nice lightweight gear. Fact is too: The lightest gear is the gear you don’t bring. The JMT was my introduction to lightweight backpacking. I think I did fairly well, though there certainly is a lot of room for improvement. My backpack weighed about 26 lb (13kg) at it’s heaviest (leaving MTR with 9 days worth of food)… That didn’t feel toooo comfortable, so for my PCT thruhike I’m definitely gonna make some changes.
Here is my top 3:
- My Dirty Girl Gaiters: ABSOLUTELY LOVED THEM!!! Kept all debris out of my shoes: Result: Zero blisters!!! And never having to stop to take little stones or rocks out.
- My Patagonia Houdini windjacket: Superlightweight. Blocked the wind, blocked the sun, added some extra warmth. Perfect for windy passes, for breaks,…. Definitely going with me on the PCT!
- My Tarptent Notch! Pitch it in 2 minutes. Done! Double-wall-shelter. Cool!
- Ah damn, a top 3 is not enough…. Cuz I also loved my Brooks Cascadia 7 trailrunners. In fact I loved them THAT much that I justed started buying the last pairs I can find in my size…. Already bought two extra pairs and I still wanna buy some more so that I’m all set to go for the PCT hahaha :c)
|My Dirty Girl Gaiters!|
|Loved the Patagonia Houdini… and of course my superexclusive rainskirt :c)|
|My Go Lite Pinnacle and the Tarptent Notch|
|Brooks Cascadia 7…. Still need to buy some more for the PCT :c)|
- Backpacker’s Pantry dinners: Should be prohibited and taken off the fuckin’ market!!! Fellow hikers know exactly why!!! AND: Instant oatmeal: I hated it! Damn those artificial flavours! It’s gonna be granola/muesli on the PCT!
- The not functioning tuner for my ukulele!
- The extra soap I brought! Live dirty!!! O and the no-name waterbladder I brought sucked like hell. Ditched that one the moment I got to Lone Pine!!!
|Girls don’t fart! They wisper in their panties! eeeeeeeeeeh yeah… suuuuure!!!|
|Never ever again!!!|
Except for food choices, I think I made some good gear-decisions. Loved the clothes I brought ( 1 pair of tights, 1 pair of shorts, 1 shortsleeve T-shirt, 1 longsleeve T-shirt, 1 windjacket, 1 rainjacket, 1 puffy (montane primaloft smock), 2 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of underwear, 1 bra, 1 bandana, 1 hat, 1 pair of gloves… That’s about it), loved my backpack (except for the fact that the belt got too big, cuz I lost too much weight… damn food!!!), loved my thermarest NeoAir, loved my sleeping bag, loved my trekking poles, hated and loved my Bearikade.
What I’m gonna change for the PCT?
1. FOOD! More! Better! Fat! Food for the mind! More Clif Bars! No freakin’ Backpackers’s Pantry! No oatmeal!
2. Ditch the tent, go with a tarp.
3. Though I love my Western Mountaineering sleeping bag, I might try a ZPacks quilt.
4. Don’t go solo :cP